Cheap Food Menus And Ideas


There are so many sources on "The Internets" for cheap food menu's, but many assume you have items already in your cupboard. Frustrating! I've referred to two sites in the past several years for help when the budget is tight. The first, is Hillbilly Housewife. The site has some good ideas about how to save money on food and other things. What I really like is their "$45 Emergency Menu for 4 to 6." It's very basic fare and not necessarily food that I normally eat, but it's a good start for beginners trying to get by when money is low. I also like that they include a calorie count and a shopping list. The other site I recommend is "365 Dollar Year". A few years ago, the author of this site set a goal to eat vegetarian fare for only $1 a day for a whole year. Her experiences, shopping lists, and food ideas are all found in the blog archives. Again, this is not how I normally eat, but I appreciate the ideas it gave me for cheap meals. Let me know if you have any sites you visit that have helped keep the budget intact.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, after re-reading this post I kept noticing the words "this is not how I normally eat." I guess implying that I must eat in some fabulously healthy and better than you kind of way. Let me be clear. My weekly diet is NOT what I would recommend for any health conscious person. It varies from "I can't believe I just downed all those Toblerone bars" to "If I eat all this green stuff maybe my insides will not stage a rebellion from the two day binge of candy and cookies!" Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links. I like the travel info on the 365 blog too. Some great ideas on cheap food.

    ReplyDelete